Q: What is Student Corps?
A: Student Corps is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that encourages participants to partake in volunteer activities. Student Corps offers the Presidential Volunteer Service Award, which is an award that awards volunteers for their hard work in helping the people. Student Corps encourages students to volunteer at any organization.
Q: What is a chapter?
A: A chapter is a local section of Student Corps.
Q: What is the requirement for chapters to start?
A: Chapters are required to have:
- 3 board members- President, Treasurer, Secretary.
- Paid the initial $30 Chapter fee
- An advisor (a trusted adult or teacher). They must agree to Student Corps Bylaws and Policies.
- A Chapter application- this is accepted all year but it is best submitted from May 1 to September 20. A chapter may be denied if they lack board members or supervision.
You may only have one chapter per school.
Q: How should I contact Student Corps?
A: You can contact Student Corps through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Will there be state headquarters for Student Corps?
A: There are currently not enough chapters that necessitate state headquarters.
Q: What are the chapter’s responsibilities and the national headquarter’s responsibilities?
A: The Chapter is responsible for:
- Paying annual chapter fees
- Host volunteering events
- Recording all hours on a spreadsheet for all members of the chapter.
- Validating all hours submitted by students.
- Filling out quarterly reports on March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31.
- Participating in three required national events
The national headquarters is responsible for:
- Validating for a final time of all hours
- Distributing the Service award.
- Checking on the progress of each chapter
Q: Are donations to Student Corps tax deductible?
A: Yes, Student Corps is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and all donations are tax deductible.
Q: How would Student Corps use the money received?
A: Student Corps will use the money in order to afford the PVSA, and when those awards are covered they may be used to fund national events. The rules of PVSA state that the national headquarters has to pay for the award.
Q: Will there be any national events?
A: Yes, the national headquarters will publish all national events in September, and chapters are required to participate in three of these national events.
Q: How can I find out how many hours I must complete in order to be eligible to receive a Presidential Volunteer Service Award (PVSA)?
A: You may find the number of hours needed to be eligible to receive the award by going to https://studentcorps.org/about/rules-and-regulations/ and scrolling to find your corresponding age and award type to find the number of hours required.